Start your own urban garden!
What better way to celebrate the first day of spring, than to start your own garden? Urban gardening, also known as container gardening, is a fun, easy and awesome way to enjoy the benefits of gardening, even if you’re short on space. Don’t have a yard? No problem! You can even start a super-cute garden indoors.
The benefits of gardening are major. Not only can you pretty up your space, you can also grow some healthy fruits and veggies. And, find an outlet for stress! According to a recent study, gardening:
- Reduces depression
- Eases anxiety
- Calms anger
- Increases happiness
Ready to get started?
Check out the urban gardening tips below!
- Consider your time and space. Does your home get a lot of sunlight, or not much at all? Would you prefer something low maintenance vs. something you have to water and monitor? There are plants to suit every lifestyle!
- Seeds or plants? To start your garden you have lots of options! You could buy seeds online, choose plants already sprouted from a local nursery, or from a succulent garden, cut a sprig off an already thriving plant and repot it.
- Pick your containers. A great money-saver is to start your urban garden using recycled materials. (For instance, the program manager at Earthworks Urban Farm likes to start his plants in old egg cartons!)
- Ask for advice. Here in SoCal we have access to weekly, wonderful farmers markets! The perfect place to go for inspiration for your garden, and also, to get some great growing advice. Can’t make it to the market? Check out this app.
- Send good vibes. Studies show plants thrive when “listening” to classical music and friendly conversation.