Sugar and coffee may seem energy-boosting, but they are your frenemies.
In our final shout out to springing ahead with Daylight Savings time, we’re going to talk about the 3 p.m. slump. You know, that time of day when nothing sounds better than a nap—or a giant caramel latte with all the fixings.
You might not want to hear this, but that caramel-calorie-bomb is not going to help your sleepy cause. (Whomp whomp.) But that is okay, we’ve got you covered! Below find energy-boosting, healthy drink and snack options to show 3 p.m. who’s boss.
Healthy, energy-boosting snacks:
- Nuts: Almonds. Pistachios. Walnuts. Each is packed with vitamins, protein, and fiber. (Pistachios even do their own portion control, if you get them in the shell!) Get creative and try this simple homemade fruit and nut bar recipe.
- A spoonful of nut butter also does the trick. Try almond butter with sliced superfood apples. (Just don’t eat the whole jar!)
- Bananas: Fiber, B-vitamins, and potassium will satisfy hunger, provide sustained energy, and boost your mood and muscle function. (Also tasty with nut butter.)
- Dark Chocolate: Now we have your attention! With antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, and the chemical compound (phenylethylamine) your brain creates when you’re falling in love… a bit of dark chocolate kind of wins snack time.
Healthy, energy-boosting drinks:
- Green tea: All the caffeine in coffee, minus the jitters, plus antioxidants and amino acids for a happy body and mind. (Kick it up a notch and try 2017 trend matcha!)
- Water: Nothing will make you cranky, tired, and sluggish faster than dehydration. If you feel thirsty, you are already dehydrated. Yikes!
- Coconut water: For a super boost of energy and hydration, grab an ice-cold coconut water. Fat-free, delicious, packed with electrolytes, mood-boosting vitamins, and so much more. (Just make sure to get the good stuff; NOT the stuff from concentrate!)
What 3 p.m. slump!?